Sunday, September 24, 2006

ROAD TRIP !!!



We had a 3-day this weekend and decided to take the opportunity to check out the sites in Jordan. The only way that I can describe it is "AWESOME"! I'm not talking about the teenager "this is kinda cool" sense of the word; I'm talking about "stood in awesome silence before the ancient ruins" AWESOME. I'm going to break down each leg of the journey into its own post, but here's an overview of the weekend:

(Please make reference to the map above)

When we crossed the border into Jordan we drove about 30 km north to Aqaba where we stayed the night. Early the next morning we where on the road, en-route to Petra. After a full day in Petra (we only got about half way through Petra in a day) we got a room for the night. Again, early the next morning we were on the road - still moving north. Our next stop was Madaba where we saw the Church of the Virgin Mary and St. George's Cathedral. After a couple hours in Madaba we moved to the top of Mt. Nebo (where Moses looked into Israel). And then it was down the other side to Jesus' baptism site on the Jordan River. Too end the day we headed south to swim in the Dead Sea. After the sun set we drove back down to Aqaba for the night. The third and final day we drove east to Wadi Rum (made famous by Lawerence of Arabia). Again, we couldn't see everything there in just a couple hours, but the day was getting short and we had to start heading back to Saudi.

This was the most amazing weekend of my life... words and pictures cannot begin to explain the things I saw. I'll do my best in the following posts to tell you about each site.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cool. I am jealous. Glad to see that you are definitely making the most out of it. So much history there.

With any luck, I will be traveling soon also.

And who commented first THIS TIME?!?!?!